Sunday 6 November 2016

Knitting



I've been extremely grateful for your messages.  


I don't have the next bit of tatting ready to show you yet and anyway, this weekend I thought I'd concentrate on knitting.

One item is this cardigan/jacket which I made last year.



It turned out to be too big in the end and I took the drastic decision to re-knit the whole thing.  Not only re-knit it but also convert it from the traditional "from the bottom-up in separate pieces" way it was designed to a top-down all in one construction.  I'm making it in a smaller size but I also went down a needle size for a more structured fabric so I've been doing a lot of maths!  I've even made it more fitted with darts on the front.  It's been a really interesting exercise.  So far so good.  I've now done the whole body and am half way down the first sleeve.  Just one more sleeve and the collar to do.  I'm not showing it to you now because it doesn't look so good with the wool all wiggly-waggly from having been unravelled.  It'll look much better once it's finished and I can wash it and the wool will relax back into shape.

Apart from that, I'm making my son a hat.  In a wool I'd not tried before:  Debbie Bliss Rialto DK.  Beautiful stuff.  So smooth and a joy to knit with.



Best wishes,
Frivole

10 comments:

  1. Wow it is beautiful I love your knitting and even remember your tea cozy you knitted a while back you have many talents 💟

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that word wiggly-waggly. Looking forward to seeing the finished jacket. Cute hat too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the look of your cardigan! I give you a lot of credit for changing the way the pattern is knit to make it right for you. That's something I aspire to doing some day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My students would tell you of my love of reduplicative words so thank you for wiggly-waggly!

    That cardigan was already so lovely, can't wit to see the new!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you for re-knitting it! I always think I should do that but don't actually get round to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit it was a bit heart-breaking to have to pull it all apart but I wasn't wearing it really as it just didn't fit right. It was a lot of nice wool so it seemed a shame not to re-make it to fit properly. And the advantage of knitting top-down all in one is that you can try as you go and check fit while you're making it.

      Delete
  6. These patterns that start at the top and work downwards, seem to be getting very popular. I have been doing some baby wear that knits the same way. I love the way it sprays out with a lovely shape. It must have been hard to unwind a while cardigan and then try and knit it all up again. I love your phase wiggly-waggly. Great expression.
    That's going to be a nice hat for your son, I have knitted Debbi Bliss wool and it does knit up lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. With all the decisions of adapting the pattern and reknitting - you've busy and very skilled. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished project. The hat looks delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!!! You sure are adventurous trying to re-do that who cardigan!!! I know it will be awesome!!!!! :)
    Great start on your hat!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine knitting this cardigan from the bottom up, let alone the top down! Such a complex pattern! The bravest I ever got was to rip out the bottom of an Aran sweater that was too long, but worried about picking up all the stitches. Then all I had to do after that was add ribbing!
      I know you'll succeed with this, though. Beautiful color!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment, it's always appreciated!