Friday 21 August 2015

Ran Out...

I was doing great on the last round of the Jan Stawasz doily but… I ran out of thread!  How annoying, so close to the end.  I'm going to have to wait until I'm home now and will probably have to order another ball just for that little bit as I fear I do not have any more of that colour (Lizbeth Cream).


Never mind, these things happen.  So I decided to start another little crochet bag.  I was limited with the materials I had so I used three strands of finer cotton thread.  I mixed some blue in for the bottom part and just used cream for the star stitch part because you really lose the prettiness of the stitch if you crochet it with a mottled thread.  I found a piece of fabric for the lining which matches the colours nicely.  I think I will thread a bit of narrow ribbon where the colour changes from mottled blue to cream.  I temporarily tried the look with some blue thread and I think it will look pretty. This one is smaller than the black one.  Thank you for the suggestions on the previous post, when I'm home I'm going to look for some colourful thin nylon cord (if I can find some) to try another bag and see how that works out.



I also have to tell you that I tried again working with size 10 thread (see earlier post on larger shuttles for thicker thread)… I'm coming to the conclusion that I don't like size 10!!  It just feels too big and I can't seem to get a nice working rhythm with that size thread.  I'm wondering whether I will have to stick to size 20 even for larger pieces.  What about you?  Do you like tatting with size 10?

Best wishes,
Frivole

18 comments:

  1. Coucou Frivole, je suis comme toi je n'aime pas travailler avec le n°10 et ne travaille qu'avec le 20
    Amitiés Eve

    ReplyDelete
  2. I quite like using size 10 for bookmarks but have never used it for a big project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I rarely use size 10,3,or 8 it is like rope dosen't side well, but has a purpose though. I made some baby booties in larger size and smaller and for once people like the larger size when voted :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is the number on the Lizbeth cream? I can send you a few yards if that would save you buying a full ball. Oh, if I've got that colour!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jane! I'll have a look around when I get home to see if I have any hiding anywhere and I'll let you know. The cream is your own colour idea - so, YOUR cream! Thanks again. :-)

      Delete
    2. I was very lucky and just found a shuttle that had fallen behind my desk and which happened to be filled with Lizbeth cream. I'll be good to finish this now. Thanks for your kind offer!

      Delete
  5. I'm like you - I really don't like tatting with the larger size threads. I prefer the smaller sizes - easier on the hands, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate it when I get that close to the end and run out of thread! I get so excited that I'm almost done, almost done, and then...! Agh! Your doily looks wonderful!
    I make table runner edgings in size 10 and they turn out well but I much prefer tatting with size 20. As you say, the 10 seems like rope! But it does have its uses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't that just frustrating? But of course you have to get more thread and finish it. You're so close, and you've done too much work not to!

    I'm like you, I prefer using smaller sizes. They're easier on the hands and look more delicate and dainty. However, all sizes have their uses, and I have recently purchased some size 10 to make a few of Marilee's patterns; she designed several of her pieces in size 10, and using a smaller sized would produce doll-sized jewelry, so I must go with what she calls for. Besides, the "chunky" look is nice, too. It's not so bad for small pieces, but I wouldn't want to make a larger piece in such a huge thread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree, some jewellery pieces do have better body and withstand wearing when tatted in larger thread.

      Delete
  8. Your doily looks so wonderful!!! :) I always fear running out of thread.
    Lovely bag!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Size 10 is not my favorite. I much prefer the smaller threads. Like SWtrompeter, I find the finer threads to be much easier on my hands.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no what a pity and just that tiny bit to do, hope you can get another ball when you get home.
    Looks another lovely bag.
    I am working on something with size ten, do I like it, no too thick, will blog it when finished, I usually use no 20.
    Hope yo u are having a lovely holiday.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh dear !
    I recall Ninetta's cheeky way around when she ran out of thread at the very end (I think it was her Anne Orr doily?) : she placed a vase over the missing segment(s) ;-P Just trying to get your spirits up :-)

    I have discovered that tatting with larger sized (10, 7, etc) is actually more difficult than with finer thread. My stitches in size 40 are always more neat & even than with a size 10 ! Who would've thought ?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's what I find too, that my tatting is less consistent and even (and less pleasurable to make too!) when working with size 10. It's like I can't get a nice working rhythm with it.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment, it's always appreciated!