Tuesday 18 February 2014

Ecological Cleaning

I'm doing some cleaning in the kitchen this morning.  I go in search, under the sink and I find I am out of sponges.  What am I going to use to wipe my worktops?  I could walk to the shops… nah, this is too good an excuse to try one of those crochet dishcloths I've seen (and to take a break from cleaning!)  Out comes the craft cotton, a big 5.5mm hook and half an hour later, I have a dishcloth.  I like it.



This is where I got the pattern from.  There's no edging to this, just a simple scallop pattern repeated.  So very quick to make.  I thought it would work out a bit too big so I started with shorter chain than in the pattern but I'll make the next ones a tad bigger - oh yes, I will make more... and some for my mother  and mother-in-law too!

Best wishes,
Frivole

10 comments:

  1. So very nice, you know with cotton wash cloths you can place them in the microwave wet and sanitize them between regular laundering! It really works too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be reluctant to get such a pretty cloth grubby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been put to work already and I like it. The texture of crochet makes for a nice scrubby, yet soft, fabric. I can see these will become popular in my kitchen.

      Delete
  3. My friend makes me knitted dishcloths and I really like them!! :)
    I like the design of yours!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice!.
    Now if you can find microfiber yarn, you can have some like they sell now that are supposed to be so great but are expensive. my dd uses them for her in home day care, and she always passes the clean test when the county health people come around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point Ladytats but I must say I like the idea of using natural fibers. I'll try it if I find some though. What sort of microfiber should it be do you think?

      Delete
    2. I really don't know, you hear all about microfiber clothes and how they are naturally anti-bacterial. I have never researched them to find out.

      Delete
  5. Too pretty for regular cleaning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty cloth for the kitchen, half an hour, I can't crochet , I gave up after trying if I did try it might take me a day and then it might look like a bowl than a cloth. Margaret

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment, it's always appreciated!